2015 $100 Fine Silver Coin Musk OX
Out of stock
Notify me when stock available
The Canadian Arctic is one of only two places on Earth where wild herds of musk ox still roam. This ancient dweller of the High Arctic is the subject of the Royal Canadian Mint’s latest $100 for $100 series coin.
- 1-ounce of 99.99% pure silver.
- GST/HST/PST exempt!
- A risk-free investment: satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
- Muskoxen are believed to have migrated from north-eastern Europe to what is now Canada between 200,000 and 90,000 years ago. Much of the north being covered by glaciers at the time, they survived successive ice ages in ice-free pockets known as glacial refugia.
- The musk ox is named for the pungent musk produced by a small oil gland on its forehead.
- A fine investment or perfect gift for lovers of nature and Canadian.
- Comes beautifully packaged in a custom case featuring a full-colour image of the coin artwork.
This 1-ounce coin is 99.99% pure silver, with a diameter of 40 millimetres and a nominal metal weight of 31.83 grams. The reverse design by Canadian artist Laurene Spino features three charging muskoxen in a typical defensive posture. Racing directly toward the viewer is a powerful male whose large horns and broad, long snout are showcased to striking advantage through a variety of finishes and engraving techniques. On each side of the male is a female turned slightly to the side of the coin. These views illustrate the female’s narrower and more curved horns and shaggy fur-covered forehead where her horns (unlike the male’s) do not meet. The reverse is engraved with the text “CANADA”, the date “2015”, and the face value of “100 DOLLARS”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.