2018 LEGACY OF THE DIME FINE SILVER COIN SET
The Legacy of the Dime set is a unique retrospective look at Canada’s 10-cent circulation coin through the years, as struck by the Royal Canadian Mint. More than twice the size of the original issue, these selectively gold-plated pieces are an enduring tribute to the five designs that have graced the diminutive-sized canvas, upon which history itself has been etched.
- A SWEEPING RETROSPECTIVE: This five-coin Legacy of the Dime series traces the history and evolution of Canada’s 10-cent circulation coins issued by the Royal Canadian Mint.
- A MODERN TRIBUTE TO PIECES OF HISTORY: All five reverse designs are beautifully re-created here in 99.99% pure silver— including two 2 oz. replicas of 10-cent coins that came to be amid unusual circumstances.
- HISTORIC ART, MODERN-DAY CRAFTSMANSHIP: While the iconic art is unchanged (save for the updated year), each design is enhanced by the use of modern finishes that further highlight the sculpted elements.
- TWO SIDES OF THE STORY: For added historical accuracy, each reverse design is paired with its original obverse.
- LARGER-THAN-LIFE: Each coin in this set is at least twice the size of the original issue. Brought to life on a larger scale than ever (38 mm and 54 mm diameters), every detail in these engraved designs catches the eye and brings renewed appreciation for these familiar images.
All five coins in this set are masterfully crafted in 99.99% pure silver, while selective gold plating highlights the engraved relief on both the obverse and reverse.
Reproduced as a 2 oz. fine silver coin, the exceptionally rare 1936 Dot 10-Cent coin features W. H. J. Blakemore’s modified version of an original design by L.C. Wyon. Topped by St. Edward’s Crown, the crossed maple bough is a fixture on all Canadian 10-cent coins issued between 1858 and 1936. A small dot beneath the tied ribbon is the identifying mark of a coin struck with the old obverse during the transition from the reign of King George V to King George VI. The obverse features the effigy of King George V by Sir E. B. Mackennal.
Also reproduced as a 2 oz. fine silver coin is the 1947 Maple Leaf 10-Cent coin. The reverse features Emanuel Hahn’s depiction of the famous Nova Scotia schooner, Bluenose, under sail. On the obverse, the effigy of King George VI by T. H. Paget includes the Royal Title GEORGIVS VI D:G:REX ET IND:IMP, which became outdated once India gained its independence on August 15, 1947. Included in this modern-day tribute is the small maple leaf that was added next to the year, to denote coins struck with the old obverse while the Royal Canadian Mint awaited new master tooling.
The 1 oz. fine silver version of the 1967 Centennial 10-Cent coin features the beloved reverse design by Alex Colville. Designed to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Confederation, the image of a mackerel pays tribute to Canada’s coast and represents the idea of continuity. Instead of the denticles seen on the 2 oz. coins, round beads encircle the reverse and obverse, which features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin.
As created by Royal Canadian Mint engravers, the reverse of the 2001 Year of the Volunteer 10-Cent coin is brought to life once more in 1 oz. fine silver. A curving legend “YEAR OF VOLUNTEERS ANNÉE DES BÉNÉVOLES” separates the side-profile view of marching mothers and the sun below, whose rays symbolize a volunteer’s enlightening effect on their community. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Dora de Pédery-Hunt.
The 2017 Wings of Peace is the most recent commemorative issue of the 10-cent coin. As part of the My Canada, My Inspiration collection commemorating CANADA 150, it features a reverse design by Amy Choi of Calgary, Alta., and highlights Canada’s reputation as a peacekeeping nation. Instead of a traditional olive branch, the stylized dove clutches a maple leaf that stands as a symbol of hope, peace and good faith. The obverse features the CANADA 150 logo and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt..
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.