1/2 oz. Pure Silver Coloured Coin – Celebrating Canada’s 150th Coin Series: Iceberg at Dawn (2017)
Rising up from the crashing waves of the North Atlantic Ocean, Newfoundland and Labrador boasts spectacular coastal scenery in which land and sea seem to vie for attention. Whether standing on a bluff or the shores of a fjord-like bay, Canada’s eastern edge offers endless vantage points for gazing out at the waters that are teeming with marine life. Whales, seals and seabirds delight with their seemingly playful nature; but in late spring, towering icebergs draw many to Iceberg Alley, where the silent passage of these glacial giants is enough to leave one feeling spellbound.
The former Dominion of Newfoundland became Canada’s youngest province on March 31, 1949. Historically known for its fishery, the province has a diversified resource-based economy and a thriving cultural scene that adds to its reputation as one of the friendliest places to live. The natural wonders of Newfoundland and Labrador reflect the geological history of a land shaped by wind and sea, water and ice, even continental collision and drift. From the soaring Torngat Mountains of northern Labrador to the Tablelands in Gros Morne National Park, landscapes of unspoiled beauty await in Canada’s easternmost region!
A beautiful addition to your Canadiana coin display! Order today!
- AVAILABLE AS THE TWELFTH COIN IN THE MONTHLY 13-COIN SUBSCRIPTION! If you like this coin, you will most likely enjoy all the other coins in the subscription! Subscribe* today and you’ll get a FREE collector case (ships with your fourth coin) plus a one-year subscription** to Canadian Geographic magazine! In addition, when you subscribe you are guaranteed the price of just $44.95 for each coin!
- CELEBRATES CANADA’S 150TH ANNIVERSARY! As Canada celebrates its 150th anniversary, embark on a cross-country collecting experience with a stunning series that showcases Canada’s iconic flora, fauna, landscapes and landmarks!
- BASED ON UNFORGETTABLE PHOTOGRAPHS! This collaborative series between the Royal Canadian Mint and Canadian Geographic magazine features striking designs based on unforgettable photographs from the bi-monthly publication.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- 99.99% PURE SILVER COIN! Your coin is GST/HST exempt!
Based on a photograph taken by Canadian photographer Dale Wilson, your coin features vibrant colour over detailed engraving that recreates an awe-inspiring sight off of Canada’s easternmost coast. From April to mid-June, icebergs are a frequent sight in the waters off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador, which offers some of the best iceberg viewing opportunities in the world. Here, the pink and purple colours of dawn provide a beautiful backdrop to the snow-white shape of the glacial giant as it passes through “Iceberg Alley” off the coast of Twillingate, N.L., dubbed the “Iceberg Capital of the World.” The reverse also features the engraved word “CANADA” and the dates “1867-2017” to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Confederation.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
- No. 155074
- Mintage 25,000
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish matte proof
- Weight (g) 15.87
- Diameter (mm) 34
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 10 dollars
- Artist Dale Wilson (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Order your coin today!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.