1/2 oz. Pure Silver Coloured Coin – Iconic Canada: The Beaver (2017)
To see a beaver in the wild is to glimpse at our nation’s history and character, for no other species can lay claim to shaping Canada like the steadfastly industrious beaver! Its flat tail and rounded shape make Castor canadensis instantly recognizable, while its activities often alter the landscape around many of our lakes and waterways. More importantly, its once-coveted pelt steered the course of early Canadian history, when the fur trade was the main commercial enterprise and the driving force behind European exploration of this land.
Affordable and colourful, this is the coin for you! Order today!
- COME FACE-TO-FACE WITH A TRUE CANADIAN ICON! The beaver’s likeness is beautifully captured on your coin, where the application of colour over engraving gives a life-like feel to this wildlife portrait and creates the sensation of coming face-to-face with a true Canadian icon!
- A LIFE-LIKE PORTRAIT IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND! Your coin is an up-close encounter with one of Canada’s national emblems, all in the palm of your hand!
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- CRAFTED FROM 99.99% PURE SILVER! Your coin has no GST/HST with a limited mintage worldwide.
Designed by Canadian artist Glen Loates, your coin captures the industrious nature of an official emblem of Canada, all in vibrant colour! One can imagine standing on the edge of a lake or paddling in a canoe, when nature’s idyllic silence is interrupted by a sudden splash that draws our gaze towards a surprising sight: a partially submerged beaver paddling by with wooden reinforcement for its lodge. An overhead view allows for a careful examination of its muzzle, its rounded body shape, and the famously flat tail that provides balance on land and direction in the water. An outstanding attention to engraved detail is apparent in the motion conveyed by the rippled surface of the water, as well as the textured appearance of the aspen branch firmly held by the beaver’s famously sharp teeth.
- A beaver’s razor-sharp incisors never stop growing, and can fell up to 200 trees each year!
- The beaver’s stout, rounded shape and webbed feet give it an awkward gait on land; it’s a different story in the water, where this smooth swimmer can swim up to 7 kilometres per hour!
- Its fur coat keeps it insulated through the seasons, but a regular grooming routine is necessary to keep the beaver’s fur covered with castor oil, which helps keep it waterproof.
- A transparent membrane over the eyes allows the beaver to see underwater, while it can gnaw underwater by drawing its lips closed behind its famous front teeth.
- The beaver spends the winter inside its habitat, where it feasts on an underwater stockpile of submerged branches.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
- No. 159891
- Mintage 15,000
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish matte proof
- Weight (g) 15.87
- Diameter (mm) 34
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 10 dollars
- Artist Glen Loates (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Order your coin today!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.