1.7 oz. Pure Silver Coin – Endangered Animal Cutout: Woodland Caribou – Mintage: 5,500 (2017)
Like a puzzle with a missing piece, it’s hard to imagine Canada without many of its most iconic species, including the woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou); sadly, this majestic mammal joins other Canadian creatures that are classified as at risk, threatened or even endangered. With its uniquely shaped cutout, this pure silver coin shines the spotlight on the plight of the caribou—a national symbol whose numbers are in decline in Canada’s wilderness.
A beautiful coin design, ideal for art lovers, nature enthusiasts and collectors alike! Order today!
- A ROYAL CANADIAN MINT FIRST! State-of-the-art technology and internationally renowned craftsmanship have come together to produce the first coin to feature a woodland caribou-shaped cutout—one that smoothly recreates the caribou’s iconic outline!
- CUTOUT HIGHLIGHTS SPECIES AT-RISK STATUS! The missing caribou element is strongly symbolic: while it represents an artistic tribute to a beloved species, the overall design also offers a haunting re-imagining of the Canadian wilderness without this national icon—particularly the Southern Mountain population of caribou, which is listed as threatened on Canada’s Species at Risk Act (SARA).
- FIRST COIN IN A LIMITED SERIES! Your coin is the first in a new series showcasing at-risk species that are an integral part of the Canadian landscape.
- LARGE DIAMETER! Your coin boasts a large diameter (54 mm) that allows the finest details to shine!
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- 1.7 OZ. 99.99% PURE SILVER COIN! Your coin has no GST/HST!
- LOW MINTAGE: Only 5,500 coins will be made worldwide.
Designed by Canadian artist Trevor Tennant, your coin transports you to the mountainous landscape of Western Canada, where detailed engraving and multiple finishes recreate a timeless snapshot of the wild. The distant peaks provide a breathtaking backdrop to the grassy foothills, which slope down to the tree-lined river below; and while the beauty of the engraved scene is unmistakable, it is the uniquely shaped cutout that easily draws the viewer’s eye. Innovative technology has skillfully carved out the outline of a woodland caribou, smoothly recreating its distinctive profile and towering rack of antlers. The missing caribou element is strongly symbolic: while it represents an artistic tribute to a beloved species, the overall design also offers a haunting re-imagining of the Canadian wilderness without this national icon—particularly the Southern Mountain population of caribou, which is listed as threatenedon Canada’s Species at Risk Act (SARA).
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
- Mintage 5,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish proof
- Weight (g) 52.88
- Diameter (mm) 54
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 30 dollars
- Artist Trevor Tennant (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.