1 oz. Pure Silver Coin – Ancient Canada: Ornithomimus – Mintage: 5,500 (2017)
Ornithomimus fossils, like the one depicted on your splash-struck coin, changed the way we think about feathered dinosaurs. By studying three specimens found in the Badlands of Alberta, paleontologists concluded that Ornithomimus was covered in down-like feathers that, as the dinosaur matured, developed into long feathers on its arms to form primitive wings. This suggests wings appeared much earlier in the evolutionary timeline—and were first used for display rather than flight!
A fun fossil coin that comes beautifully packaged in a ready-to-display floating frame, ideal for work or home! Order today!
- MADE LIKE AN ANCIENT ROMAN COIN! Using an old coin-making technique, your coin does not have a rim; instead, the 99.99% pure silver was allowed to spill beyond a traditional round shape to give your coin a slightly irregular shape—just like an ancient Roman coin!
- TRULY UNIQUE! Due to its irregular shape, your coin may be larger and flatter but will always have a minimum diameter of 38 mm! Each coin will vary, which makes your coin truly unique!
- ATTENTION TO HISTORICAL ACCURACY! Verified by Alberta’s Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology, your coin uses precision engraving to recreate the fossil remains and the textured appearance of sandstone—much like the rock in which the original fossil was found!
- ANTIQUE FINISH APPLIED BY HAND! To enhance the detailed engraving of the fossil and its sandstone-like surroundings, a stunning patina finish has been painstakingly applied to your coin by hand. This gives your coin an antiqued appearance that reflects the series’ historical theme!
- NO PLASTIC CAPSULE FOR A VISUALLY TACTILE EXPERIENCE! Since your coin’s irregular shape does not fit in a typical plastic capsule, your coin instead is packaged in a ready-to-display floating frame! Measuring 80 mm x 80 mm x 34 mm, this framed presentation makes for one-of-a-kind wall art and a sure conversation piece—it will seem like the fossil is embedded in your wall!
- SEALED IN LACQUER! Your coin’s antique finish is sealed in lacquer, which should minimize the appearance of fingerprints if the coin is accidentally removed from its frame.
- PREHISTORIC-LOOKING FONT! A fun font with a prehistoric appearance was used on both sides of your coin to give an overall aged appearance!
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- VERY LOW MINTAGE: Only 5,500 coins will be made available worldwide. Hurry and order yours today before they are all gone!
- ONE-OUNCE 99.99% PURE SILVER COIN! Your coin has no GST/HST!
Your coin’s design was based on fossil specimen TMP 1995.110.1 curated at the Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology in Drumheller, Alberta. The rimless coin’s unusual contour is the product of an old coin-making technique that allows the pure silver to spill out, producing an irregular shape reminiscent of an ancient Roman coin. In contrast, cutting-edge technology and finishing techniques add a smooth appearance to the engraved fossils of the feathered dinosaur Ornithomimus, which shines bright in comparison to the textured appearance of the sandstone-like encasing throughout your coin. The entire design has an unmistakably ancient look and feel, thanks to a patina finish that gives your coin its aged look, coupled with the prehistoric-looking font used on both sides of your coin.
Your coin comes beautifully packaged in a ready-to-display floating frame, ideal for work or home!
- No. 154259
- Mintage 5,500
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish antique
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) approx. 38
- Edge plain
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 20 dollars
- Artist Image based on fossil specimen TMP 1995.110.1 curated at the Royal Tyrell Museum (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.