1 oz. Pure Silver Coin – Nocturnal by Nature: The Barn Owl – Mintage: 7,000 (2017)
Canada is home to a wide range of nocturnal animals, including the barn owl, whose acute senses and secretive ways make it one of nature’s most efficient nighttime hunters. This fine silver coin captures all of the majesty and beauty of this species as it glides across the night sky—a sight recreated through the innovative use of black rhodium plating. Tilt the coin to see the colour shift from dark black to gunmetal grey, adding to the contemporary look and feel of the coin.
A coin you will want to show to friends and family! Order today!
- A MINT FIRST! Your coin includes the first-time use of black rhodium plating that lends itself perfectly to re-creating the dark night sky and allows the moon’s uniquely frosted finish to shine through.
- INNOVATIVE! The light-and-dark contrast of your coin sets the perfect mood for a night-time hunt, while enhancing the natural silver shine of the engraved owl in the foreground.
- STUNNING! Tilt your coin to alter your perception of the plating’s hue, which varies from a dark black colour to a gun-metal grey, and adds to the contemporary look and feel of the overall design.
- BRIMMING WITH DETAIL! Your coin is a dynamically layered design that is brimming with detail, thanks to the intricate engraving that re-creates the lunar craters and the owl’s most distinguishing features.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE! The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins. Most of these are serialized certifications, meaning that each certificate is given a unique number, starting at 1.
- LOW MINTAGE: Only 7,000 coins will be made available worldwide. Hurry and order yours today before they are all gone!
- ONE-OUNCE 99.99% PURE SILVER COIN! Your coin has no GST/HST!
Designed by Canadian artist Jamie Desrochers, your coin features a contemporary stylized depiction of a barn owl (Tyto alba) descending upon its prey, as viewed from the ground looking up at the night sky. In the background, the creative use of black rhodium plating serves as a stunning backdrop for this night-time scene; detailed engraving re-creates the cratered surface of the full moon, which is brought to life through the use of bold frosting peering through the dark plating. The coin’s silver surface also lends itself beautifully to evoking the luminous quality of moonlight on the engraved owl in the foreground, which seemingly shines brighter against the dark image field. Flying on outstretched wings, the owl conveys its stealthy hunting prowess through its fixed stare, as it seems to close in on the viewer. The engraving captures much of the owl’s most distinctive features—from its characteristic heart-shaped face and sharp talons, to the spotted appearance of its wing and tail feathers.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
- No. 156565
- Mintage 7,000
- Composition 99.99% pure silver
- Finish matte proof
- Weight (g) 31.39
- Diameter (mm) 38
- Edge serrated
- Certificate serialized
- Face value 20 dollars
- Artist Jamie Desrochers (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.