2016 Pure Gold Maple Leaf Fractional Set: A Historic Reign
On September 9, 2015, the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II surpasses that of Queen Victoria (63 years 7 months and 3 days) to become the longest reigning Sovereign in modern Canadian history (only exceeded in our history by the reign of His Majesty King Louis XIV).
Out of stock
On September 9, 2015, the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II surpasses that of Queen Victoria (63 years 7 months and 3 days) to become the longest reigning Sovereign in modern Canadian history (only exceeded in our history by the reign of His Majesty King Louis XIV). Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, has served as a constant symbol of duty, service, continuity and affection for Canada and all Canadians. This set of beautifully-engraved gold coins in one-ounce and fractional denominations brings together a Canadian icon and a royal emblem in a fitting tribute to Her Majesty’s historic reign that reflects so much of this country’s accomplishments as a modern, dynamic and proud country.
- This magnificent set of gold coins pays tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, as the longest reigning Sovereign in modern Canadian history.
- The Royal Canadian Mint’s world-renowned purity standard of 99.99% brings exclusivity and prestige to the set, which includes pure gold coins in one-ounce and fractional denominations.
- Masterful engraving makes it possible for each one-ounce coin to be individually edge-lettered with a serialized number, ensuring each set is unique.
- To lend added historical context to this celebration of Her Majesty’s historic reign, each obverse features a different profile portrait.
- The reverse features a beautifully engraved maple leaf carried by the autumn breeze, which has been polished to a fine reverse proof finish that allows each leaf to shine. Each reverse also features the Royal Cypher EIIR.
- The engraved Royal Cypher is further enhanced by the application of purple enamel on the one-ounce coin, which gives the lettering its regal colour.
- Previous gold fractional sets have been quick to sell out and with only 600 sets available worldwide, this exclusive set will likely be highly sought-after!
- A wonderful addition to any nature-, Canadiana-, fractional- or monarch-themed collection.
All four coins feature a reverse design by Canadian artist Celia Godkin that showcases an engraved rendition of Canada’s beloved symbol, the maple leaf, as it is gently carried in the air by a soft autumn breeze. Underscoring Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s role as Canada’s head of state, the Royal Cypher EIIR appears alongside the leaf and the word “CANADA”; the emblem is particularly resplendent on the 1 oz coin, where the addition of enamel adds a regal purple colour to the lettering and rendition of the St. Edward’s Crown. The obverse features the year “2016” along with the purity and each coin’s weight. In celebration of Her Majesty’s long and remarkable reign, different profile portraits are also featured on the obverse: the 1 oz coin features a 1952 profile portrait of Her Majesty wearing the Imperial State Crown; the ¼ oz coin features the effigy that first appeared on Canadian circulation coins in 1953, as designed by Mary Gillick; the 1/10 oz coin features the 1965 effigy of Her Majesty by Arnold Machin; and the 1/20 oz coin features the first effigy of Her Majesty to be designed by a Canadian, Dora de Pédery-Hunt. The coins are presented in a red lacquer case with a custom outer box showing an image of Her Majesty on her Coronation day, wearing the Imperial State Crown as shown on the 1 oz coin.
|Face Value||Composition||Weight (g)*||Diameter (mm)||Edge|
|50 dollars||Pure gold (99.99% pure)||31.16||30||Interrupted|