2018 $20 FINE SILVER COIN NOCTURNAL BY NATURE: THE HOWLING WOLF
Swiftly travelling across Canada’s wild landscapes, the wolf (Canis lupus) makes its presence known when it releases its unmistakable howl into the night. Our exploration of Canada at night continues with this third coin in the Nocturnal by Nature series, using selective black rhodium plating to set the mood for a moonlit serenade.
Out of stock
Notify me when stock available
- THIRD IN A SERIES: The third installment in a series featuring surprise encounters with some of Canada’s nocturnal wildlife. Collect them all!
- AN INNOVATIVE TWIST ON TRADITIONAL WILDLIFE PORTRAITS: An artful mix of engraving, selective plating and finishes come together in this unforgettable portrait of a species whose howl is synonymous with the Canadian wilderness
- BLACK AS THE NIGHT: Selectively plated with black rhodium, a precious metal, for enhanced value and aesthetic appeal. To achieve the look of a nighttime setting, layers of rhodium plating are carefully built up to achieve just the right level of darkness for a moonlit night
- SILVERY MOONLIGHT: Left unplated, the coin’s 99.99% pure silver surface mimics the luminous effect of a full moon faintly illuminating the wolf from behind and casting shadows across the dark landscape
- COLOUR SHIFT: When you tilt the coin from side to side, you’ll see a subtle (and natural) colour shift in the rhodium plating—from black to a gun-metal grey, even hints of purple or blue. An added layer of artistic detail!.
- A timeless addition to any wildlife-, nature- or Canadiana-themed collection, and a valued piece to be treasured for years to come
The reverse design by Canadian artist Claude Thivierge travels deep into one of Canada’s forests, to catch a glimpse of a species whose haunting cry defines the call of the wild. Black rhodium plating sets the tone for a nighttime encounter in a clearing, where, viewed in three-quarter profile, Canis lupus raises its head to the sky and releases its howl into the winter night. Behind the wolf, the coin’s polished silver surface is left unplated to mimic the light of the engraved full moon, which faintly illuminates the landscape below, and the wolf from behind. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.