2018 $20 FINE SILVER COIN – ROYAL PORTRAIT
It was 70 years ago that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, then Princess Elizabeth, took on the noble, lifelong role of motherhood. The Royal Canadian Mint proudly presents a picture-perfect coin that is both a birthday celebration for His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales and a touching tribute to Her Majesty as monarch and matriarch
Out of stock
Notify me when stock available
- TWO CELEBRATIONS IN ONE: The Royal Canadian Mint proudly celebrates an upcoming royal anniversary and a tribute to Her Majesty as monarch and matriarch, all in one beautifully crafted coin
- A TENDER MOMENT WITH MOTHER AND CHILD: the photograph reproduced on the reverse (©Cecil Beaton/Victoria and Albert Museum, London/Londres) was made possible by a colour application over engraved relief, which adds textural elements to an already captivating image taken in December 1948 at Buckingham Palace.
- NOT JUST A FLOURISH: The elegant, gold-coloured border speaks of the longstanding connection between Canada and the Crown.
- WORLD-CLASS CRAFTSMANSHIP: Each coin has been expertly crafted from 99.99% pure silver and has a limited mintage worldwide
- A TRIBUTE TO ALL MOTHERS: While its design is sure to appeal to royal watchers, this commemorative coin is a lovely addition to any collection! It is, at heart, a touching celebration of motherhood, which makes this a wonderful gift for Mother’s Day
The reverse features a reproduction of a touching Royal portrait of motherhood, one that was taken 70 years ago at Buckingham Palace. The original black-and-white photograph (©Cecil Beaton/Victoria and Albert Museum, London/Londres) is re-created with a colour application over engraved elements, which add textural relief to the image of Her Majesty (then Princess Elizabeth) gazing down at her first-born son, His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, when he was five weeks old (December 1948). Designed by Canadian artist Maurice Gervais, the gold-coloured border consists of maple leaves that represent the connection between Canada and the Crown. A scroll banner at the top features a stylized version of St. Edward’s Crown placed between the double dates “1948” and “2018,” to commemorate a Royal birth and 70 years of the dual role of Her Majesty as monarch and matriarch. The reverse also includes the engraved word “CANADA”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.