2018 $250 FINE SILVER COIN A FIERCE GAZE: TYRANNOSAURUS REX
LAUNCH DATE: May 01, 2018
ADVERTISING DATE: May 1, 2018
With a massive skull and a jaw full of dagger-like teeth, the carnivorous Tyrannosaurus rex inspires a mixture
of awe and fear—especially if you were to cross paths with a living one! The towering “king of the tyrant
lizards” has you in its sights on the reverse of this fine silver coin, where a coloured enamel eye adds extra
intensity to one of Prehistoric Canada’s fiercest gaze.
Out of stock
Notify me when stock available
- CATCH THE EYE OF THE HUNTER: Tyrannosaurus rex has its gaze fixed on you on this prehistoric-themed kilo coin featuring a coloured enamel eye, which adds a touch of realistic intensity.
- UNPARALLELED CRAFTSMANSHIP: A large diameter allows for an astounding amount of engraved details, including the carefully sculpted scales that give it all a sense of depth and outstanding texture.
- An outstanding collector piece with high artistic value! This incomparable coin features a mirror-like proof finish and has a limited mintage.
- HIGHLIGHTING CANADA’S FOSSIL DISCOVERIES: Canada is a hotbed of fossil finds! This coin is an artistic way of paying tribute to Canadian palaeontologists, who are at the forefront of new research that is
expanding our knowledge of ancient life
- SCIENTIFICALLY VERIFIED: Our engraved depiction of a T. rex has been verified for scientific accuracy by palaeontologists of the Royal Tyrrell Museum, Canada’s premier centre of paleontological research!
The reverse design by Julius Csotonyi offers the viewer a rare close encounter with one of the most fearsome
predators of the Late Cretaceous Period, some 68-66 million years ago. This depiction of Tyrannosaurus rex is
based on current scientific knowledge, and has been reviewed for accuracy by palaeontologists of the Royal
Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology in Drumheller, Alberta. The three-quarter view allows for the careful study of
T. rex’s famous facial features, including the serrated teeth that line its powerful, bone-crunching jaw; but a
closer examination reveals an astounding depth to every engraved detail—especially the meticulously sculpted
scales that give the skin a reptile-like texture. The viewer’s gaze is easily drawn towards the coloured enamel
eye, whose brown-hued iris and round pupil add a splash of life-like colour and intimidating intensity to this
ancient carnivore’s chilling stare. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by