2018 $8 FINE SILVER COIN CHINESE BLESSINGS
A beautiful expression of one’s hopes for the year ahead, the ages-old tradition of hanging Fai Chun is a quintessential part of preparations for the Chinese New Year. This rectangular coin re-creates the auspicious symbols, colours and images of the banners that adorn doors as an invitation for luck and fortune to enter—and remain the whole year through.
Out of stock
Notify me when stock available
- TRADITION MEETS INNOVATION: Introducing our first rectangular-shaped celebration of Chinese-Canadian culture
- A WISH FOR A BANNER YEAR: Crafted from 99.99% pure silver, this fine silver coin is shaped like a door adorned with red banners that are a cherished tradition for Chinese New Year
- HIGHLY SYMBOLIC DESIGN: Each design element holds special significance—from the calligraphic symbols to the auspicious “8”-dollar face value!
- SUPERB COLOURS: Another auspicious element, the rich red colour easily catches the eye, while translucent colour mimics the traditional gold foil of the calligraphic symbols
- HONOURING OUR CHINESE-CANADIAN COMMUNITIES: This visually stunning coin is a proud cultural celebration of Canada’s Chinese communities
- MINTAGE LIMITED TO 5,888: Similar-themed coins sold out quickly! Limited to just 5,888 coins worldwide, this collectible is sure to be cherished for its artistic appeal and rich symbolism
- A superb addition to any collection, or a magnificent gift to confer a very special blessing for the coming year!
Like a door adorned with traditional Fai Chun paper decorations, the reverse design by Canadian artist Aries Cheung offers a festive greeting and a wish for luck and fortune throughout the year. Two vertical Chiuntao banners and the diamond-shaped Doufang at the centre are brought to life by a deep red colour application and the use of translucent colour, which mimics the look of traditional gold foil. Together, these rich colours magnify the symbolic meaning of the calligraphic characters for “good wishes” (right), “auspiciousness” (left) and “good luck” or “fortune” (centre). This powerful blessing is further enhanced by various symbolic images, including a jade “ru yi” (right); an “auspicious” tangerine (left); and a repeating motif of a stylized bat or fú, which is homophonous with the word it surrounds. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.