2018 SPECIAL EDITION PROOF SILVER DOLLAR 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ARMISTICE OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR
LAUNCH DATE: May 01, 2018
ADVERTISING DATE: May 1, 2018
November 11, 1918: A date synonymous with peace and remembrance. The 2018 Special Edition Proof Dollar commemorates the centennial of the Armistice of 1918 with a classically styled celebration of peace, one that speaks of hope re-awakening in the aftermath of a war that ultimately shaped the 20th century
- HOMAGE TO PEACE: The reverse commemorates the centennial of the Armistice of 1918, or, more specifically, the moment the battlefields of the First World War suddenly went silent.
- TRIBUTE TO OUR COMBATANTS: Anchoring the peace laurels, the maple leaf pays homage to all Canadian and Newfoundlander combatants, whose courage and sacrifices are on the minds of Canadians each year on November 11, during a moment of silence observed at 11 a.m.
- CLASSIC LOOK: The classically styled design channels the spirit of a nation at that moment in time, and harkens back to the coins of the era.
- SELECTIVELY PLATED: A touch of gold plating creates an elegant contrast, further enhancing an already eyecatching design
- MODERN FINISHES: Against the luminous proof background, the engraved elements are brought to life by multiple finishes that add emotional weight to each symbolic element—from the radiant rays of hope to the towering “11” columns, and the emblem of our combatants.
Harkening back to the coins of the era, the reverse design by artist Jamie Desrochers channels a nation’s spirit in 1918 while paying tribute to the hour, day and month that the Armistice went into
effect. The numeral “11” appears three times to represent the eleventh hour, the eleventh day and the eleventh month: November 11, 11 a.m., or the exact moment the guns fell silent. Backed by rays
of hope that fill the field, the selectively gold-plated “11” resembles Corinthian-styled columns rising up from atop a grand staircase, with an overall form that faintly echoes the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France. Peace laurels symbolize the Armistice and the ensuing peace, while the gold-plated maple leaf proudly pays homage to the Canadian and Newfoundlander combatants of the First World War. Framed by the gold-plated rim, the reverse also includes the engraved word “CANADA”, the commemorative dates “1918 – 2018” and the face value, “DOLLAR”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.